Temp Staffing And Recruitment Agency Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Labor Hire - Employment - Labor Agency
The most common frequently asked questions (FAQs) asked by candidates and recruiters can be found on this page.
- Job Seekers FAQ
- Staff Agencies Services
- Temp Agency Services
- Current Contractors or Temp Employees FAQ
If your questions are not covered here or they are more specific, please do not hesitate to call Staffing on 1300 790 330. Our specialist temping team will be glad to provide you with the right answer!
What does a staffing agency do?
Staffing Agencies operate on behalf of their clients the employers. Staff Agencies are external service providers who source candidates for employers to employ directly. Recruitment Agencies also frequently offer temporary or contract staffing services where they on-hire (or 'on-sell') candidates, whom the recruitment agency employs, to their clients.
Why should I work with a staff agency?
Working with recruitment companies is just one of many ways of maximizing your chances of securing a new role. Recruitment Agencies often act as the ‘middle-man’ identifying and connecting you with the problems of employers. Around 20% - 50% of jobs are advertised by staffing agencies so it is likely you will apply for a job advertised by recruitment agencies on behalf of their clients. You should also register on multiple recruitment agency websites by uploading your resume as recruitment agencies will usually search their own database for candidates before advertising roles, whether they be permanent, temp or contract positions.
What is the difference between a recruitment agency and employment agency?
The distinction between recruitment agencies and employment agencies was historically based on recruitment agencies only offering hiring services where they would source candidates on behalf of organisations who would then employ the candidates directly. In turn, employment agencies would offer temporary staff or contract staffing services where they would employ the candidate and then on-hire (or on-sell) the candidate to employers, charging a margin on top of the salary and direct employment costs. Most recruiters operate both services so the distinction is no longer as relevant as it may have been in the past.
What should I expect from a recruitment agency if I am short-listed for a role?
The recruitment starts with the submission of your resume. From there you can expect from a recruitment consultant if your skills and experience best match with a vacancy being recruited for. If you aren’t judged to be the most suitable candidate your resume will be retained in their candidate talent database to be matched with future employment opportunities. The Recruiter will then strive to meet you before presenting your application to their client. Through the client’s interview process you’ll be supported by the staffing agency with meeting preparation, continued communication, constructive feedback and salary negotiation advice.
What will Staffing do for me?
In simple terms, we work on behalf of thousands of hirers throughout Australia to attract suitably qualified candidates for their temporary and permanent vacancies. Staffing will match your career aspirations, skill set and personality compatibility against our clients’ recruiting needs. If you are the best fit then you may be shortlisted and invited for either a preliminary interview with Staffing, an interview directly with the our employer client or both before an offer of employment is made to the successful candidate.
What can I do to improve my resume?
At Staffing we offer you a Rapid Resume Builder as a FREE tool to generate a resume that you can then easily edit and update. Also once you have Registered For Work you will be setup with a FREE CareerController profile containing the work experience, attitude towards change and continual learning and personality compatibility we have extracted from your resume. You can easily update this profile and also output your profile as a resume with hundred of modern designs. Be mindful that we can only search on information with is accurate and up to date so please ensure you regularly log into CareerController to update your profile, even if you are working, so that we can match with current and future vacancies.
Why register with Staffing?
With Staffing you will be partnering with a labor hire specialist. We understand the employment market and specific issues of our clients. When you register with Staffing you gain access to FREE CareerController tools to assist you manage your career. You will not only become a candidate for more than 3,000 jobs advertised on Staffing every year, but also be matched with and be able to apply for millions of jobs sourced via our affiliate network.
The easiest way to register with Staffing is to clicking Find Work. You can also apply for jobs that we list on our website. Make sure you have updated your resume before starting the register for work process.
Can I just email my resume directly to staff agencies?
Most larger staff agencies use sophisticated databases to search for an identify candidates that match the needs of companies. You need to register on recruitment agency websites in order for your resume to be uploaded into their talent database. Applying for jobs on jobs board such as Seek or Indeed does not necessarily mean you have been registered on their database so it is often worthwhile both applying directly for roles and also registering on a recruitment agency website. For Staffing you should complete your personal details and upload your resume here Find Work Of course, you may be asked by employment agencies on occasions to email your resume directly. Sometimes this is because they want your resume in a MS Word (or similar editable) format so that they can remove your contact details from your resume in order to forward it to recruiters.
What sectors or industries do recruitment companies operate in?
Each year recruitment agencies place hundreds of thousands of professional candidates into permanent and contract roles across a broad range of industries and job categories. These include:
- Accountancy & Finance
- Banking & Financial institutions
- Digital Technology
- Executive Search
- Office Support
- Oil & Gas
- Supply Chain & Logistics
No matter what service you are seeking, give Staffing a call on 1300 790 330 so we can discuss your organisation's requirements.
How much do employment agencies charge?
Other than executive search where an upfront retainer usually charged, recruitment agencies typically don’t charge any upfront fees unless they source a fantastic candidate who starts working for their clients. Staff Agencies typically charge for permanent recruitment a placement fee of between 10% and 32% of the annual salary package of the candidate. For temporary staffing services the margin varies significantly based on such factors as the volume of work, length of the role, candidate salary rate and whether there is a preferred supplier agreement (PSA) in place, and with an average per hour margin of $10 to $38 per hour after direct employment costs. When calculating temp or contract margins a temp agency typically take into consideration such factors as:
- How many staff does the client require?
- What is the duration of assignment? (if not Permanent)
- What is the potential for repeat business?
- Will we be added to the Preferred Supplier List (PSL)? Will a Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) be put in place?
How is Staffing different to other staffing agencies?
We are consistently ranked in the top 5 recruitment agencies in Australia for our expertise, recruitment systems and talent matching capability. Feedback from regular surveys of our clients and candidates is that our consistant delivery of service excellence stems from our focus on:
- Apply smarter staffing solutions that optimise employer and jobseekers outcomes
- Exceed customer expectations and add value at every interaction
- Quality, service and value will not be compromised
- Services expectations will be communicated, mutually agreed and continuously surpassed
- Innovation - I will embrace continuous learning. I will strive to continuously think outside the square.
- Excellence - I will strive to surpass the expectations of my colleagues and customers.
- Respect - I will treat all people with dignity and respect.
- Passion - I will aim to impact my passion onto my colleagues and clients.li>
- Teamwork - I will aim to build team work through sharing knowledge, valuing the insights of others and building on others ideas.
- Commitment - I will continuously demonstrate my commitment to myself, the company and the wider community to be the best I can be.
Contact Staffing on 1300 790 330 to speak to a Consultant about your enterprise's employment needs.
Do you recruitment agencies offer replacement guarantees if things don’t work out?
Absolutely! We do expect candidates we have sourced to be very well matched to the roles. Staffing does however guarantee to provide you with an alternative candidate for the same position if the original candidate departs or is dismissed within 3 months. In our experience 3 months provides plenty of time for a candidate to settle nicely into the role. In our experience it’s unusual for carefully recruited and well matched candidate to leave a position. Perhaps our clients’ high retention rate is because we spend so much time carefully matching candidate achievements, motivation, aspirations, skills and personality to your needs in order to source you the perfect candidate.
How does Staffing source the best labor hire candidates?
After more than 13 years, Staffing has earned an Australian wide reputation from candidates for supporting their careers and matching them with roles from some of the largest, and also smallest, employers. With between 200 and 600 new registrations on our LabourHire.Agency website every week, Staffing has a talent database of more 165,000 candidates looking to maximise their career success. Candidates are given FREE access to CareerController where they can manage job applications, see roles that match their requirements and update their profile with the latest aspirations, achievements and personality. We also have access to an affiliate network and jobs boards that provides us with access to millions of capable employment, labor agency or labor hire candidates, whether your organisation requires full-time, staff agencies or staffing agencies staffing services. Call us on 1300 790 330 to discuss your organisation's needs to discover why Staffing has a reputation for service excellence as one of the top 9 employment agencies in Australia.
What happens when I contact a recruitment agency?
Normally you will be asked about your organisation, your organisation's requirements and your contact details. Role specific questions will also be asked regarding the preferred start date of the role, salary range, skills and experience requirements, working hours, interview preferences and the location. Usually the placement fee will be confirmed or hourly rate quoted on the phone for you to make a decision. This will also be confirmed via email along with a copy of the recruitment agency terms of business (TOB) outlining the conditions of their services. There is no obligation to use their services at this stage, whereby the onus is on the employment agency to source fantastic candidates that meet your recruitment needs in order for them to be paid. Based upon your agreement to proceed with hiring a candidate or hiring temp staff, you we will be allocate the Staffing Consultant who will become your point of contact thereafter. If you have multiple roles, a primary Staffing Consultant will be appointed by Staffing who will liaise with other specialist consultants within the staff agency. Call Staffing today on 1300 790 330 to outline your organisation's needs and find out more about how our services can assist you.
What are the qualities of a great recruiter?
Recruitment consultants, also known recruiters and resourcers (who just focus on candidates), are typically outgoing, sociable, organized, good communicators and motivated. They may specialize in permanent recruitment, temporary staffing, executive search (“head hunting”), specific role types (e.g. IT, engineering, accounting, change management, etc.) or be generalists running a “360 degree desk” (managing the sourcing of clients and candidates, recruiting process and achievement of budget gargets) with end-to-end responsibility. To be a successful recruitment consultant there are few top qualities that differentiate average recruitment consultants from great recruiters.
- Extrovert & Confident – There’s a reason that the industry tends to attract extroverts. Working as a recruiter involves a lot of interacting with people, whether it be on the phone or face-to-face. The industry tends to attract extroverts with a social confidence to engage with people at any level.
- Great Communication Skills – Recruiters are constantly on the phone, sending emails, writing job ads or providing feedback on position descriptions and employment contracts. They spend from the start of the day to the end of the day (and often in the evenings and weekends) communicating with clients and candidates in order to get the perfect match.
- Approachable & Good Listener – Recruiters need to be approachable and create long lasting genuine relationships. Candidates and even clients need to feel confident in expressing their personal opinions, reservations and concerns with someone whom they trust and who they feel is actively listening to them. A great recruiter’s ability to gain a deep insight into both the employer and candidate that really distinguishes them apart. This is essential in order to create a long-term relationship which ideally created with both employers and candidates (including those who were ultimately unsuccessful).
- Sales & Target Driven – Recruitment consultants must firstly sell their service to the employer and then they must sell the job to the candidate. As with any sales, both parties need to benefit from the process or they won’t proceed. The recruitment industry is very competitive with most recruiters employed on a base salary with commission or bonuses comprising a large percentage of their on-target earnings. If they are not achieving the results they won’t survive!
- Multi-Tasker & Super Organised – Recruiters need to work on a number of jobs at the same time, often with short-lead times. To be successful a good recruiter will need to juggle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Priories can be easily changed by clients requiring someone to start tomorrow or a candidate not showing up to their first day, so they must also be good at managing their time effectively under pressure.
- Patience – Things don’t always go to plan with dealing with people. Whether it is a candidate withdrawal, client changing their minds or leaving 20 messages without getting through to anyone, recruiters need to be flexible and patient. Typically, they are very conscience so it is also a personal challenge if they feel like candidates (and very occasionally clients) whom they trust to do the right thing let them down. It doesn’t happen very often but can be particularly frustrating when their reputation is at stake!
Staffing is always after fantastic Recruitment Consultants. If you believe you have the above qualities and are already (or might become) a fantastic recruitment consultant visit our Career Contact Us Form and include a link to your LinkedIn profile.
Can temp work benefit my career?
Every temp assignment adds to your skills and demonstrates your ability to quickly adapt to new and varying working conditions and even industries. Ensure you regularly update your resume and online CareerController profile, including denoting that it was a ‘Contract’ role and listing your skills and achievements. If you excel as a temp you will also often find yourself being offered permanent roles by our clients. Often Staffing Consultant also find themselves as Referees to other employers and even agencies.
How does a temping agency work?
Organisations with temp staffing needs enter into an agreement with a temp agency to fill jobs with appropriately skilled staff. A temp staffing and recruitment agency, also known as a temp staff agency or temp staffing and recruitment agency, finds and retains capable worker to send out on short or long-term assignments.
How do temping agencies make their money?
Temp Staffing And Recruitment Agency make their money in different ways. They take a percentage of the recruitment or contact salary. They also charge a placement fee to their clients of between 11% and 24% of the annual salary for any roles that go from temp-to-perm.
How long does a temporary job last?
Short-term temp positions might last 1 day or up to 2 weeks. When the role continues longer than about 8 weeks, a temporary staff agency would typically consider the role long term with an increased chance that it may lead to the candidate being offered a permanent role with the client (temp-to-perm).
Why do recruiters hire temporary employees?
Temp Staffing And Recruitment Agency can quickly provide your organisation with experienced staff. Some common reasons businesses hire temps are: employee annual leave or sickness, maternity or disability leave, staff sudden departure, unexpected or temporary demands, special projects, seasonal or peak periods or general employee shortages.
Do temp staff sign an employment contract?
Yes. The temporary staff agency employs you directly and will therefore expect you to sign an employment contract. Not only will the contract outline your employment status and conditions, it will also include certain restrictions regarding your ability to work directly for, and discussing your salary with, the businesses that they introduce you to. When the temp staffing and recruitment agency send you on a role, you cannot accept any other temporary or permanent position with the operation without going through the temp staffing and recruitment agency. Should the company want to hire you permanently, they will pay the temp agency a certain amount to release you from your contract. Typically this is between 13% and 29% of the annual salary package that is offered to you.
What is temp to perm?
‘Temp-to-perm’ is an industry terms for recruitment assignments that start as temporary, but could lead to being permanently employment by our client. We often offer this type of role. A company will us to find a candidate to fill a role temporarily, with an eye to possibly making them permanent if they are suitable. Often your salary expectations would be communicated to the client by your Staffing Consultant at the outset of the assignment. There is never any guarantee that that a recruitment role will go temp-to-perm and as a temp you are not obliged to accept a direct employment offer if one is made.
Do recruitment employees get paid holidays?
No. You are casually employed by Staffing and receive a loading on your salary. You are not entitled to annual leave, sick leave or payment for public holidays.